Friday, June 13, 2008

Morning

Morning! This is a work that I hear often at work, typically the end of my shift. I am been working the 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. shift at Longview Regional Medical Center for a while now and have watched as people arrive and depart the working lives. I have been spending a lot of time sitting at the front desk which has huge automatic glass door and huge windows that over look the parking and helicopter pad so that I can see when people arrive and leave for work.
Now I am a person of schedule and being on time is a HUGE issue for me. I think as long as I have been working, five years, I have been late maybe 3 times and going to school I was hardly ever late to class. I think that is one of the best things band taught me during high school "early is on time and on time is late." Typically about 4:45 a.m. every morning the hospital begins to slowly "wake up" with life again.
There is a woman that comes in between 4:45 a.m. and 4:50 a.m. and has a seat in the closest chair to the Emergency Room door. "Morning" is all that I have every heard her say. But she sits there waiting until 4:53 a.m. so that she can go clock in, which the time clock is in the adjacent hallway so I have view of it as well.
The next person that comes in is the Nuclear Medicine guy that delivers medical supplies. He pulls up under the ER drop off area and parks his car. He steps out of his car which is a Sliver Saturn Ion and walks toward the trunk where he gathers the supplies for the days. He then walks into the door and turns the corner "morning" with a wave of his hand.
Next is the newspaper delivery woman, sometimes a guy, that comes racing through the parking lots and pulls into the ER covered area like she is Jeff Gordon, drops off the papers and speeds off out of the parking lot.
At 6 a.m. typically follows the charge nurses that walk through the parking lot and headed to the time clock to begin their 12 hours of work. The sun is beginning to rise and the day begins for the "normal" employees Between 6:30 a.m. and 7 a.m. life really picks up. You have the early people, the on time people and the late people. Very seldom have I seen an early person be late this reason is because when they are running late, they still are on time because they are always early!
Typically between 6:30 a.m. and & a.m. I make my final trip down the hallway to use the little boys room where I am greeted with "morning" up and down the hallway.
Ten till 7 a.m. rolls around and I am waiting anxiously for my relief to show up for work. We have the one "early bird" that is always here before it is time for her to clock in and then we have the ones that don't like to clock in till right at 7 a.m. and then you have the ones that like to show up late. These "late" people tend to really aggravate me. There are several reasons for this: First-it is 7 a.m. and I am ready to go home; Secondly it is a respect issue with me. Yes I understand that there are times that you will be late but day after day? I think some people need to learn what I had to learn while in band:
"Early is on time and on time is late!" - Sherri Morgan - Director of The Roaring Band From Bobcat Land

No comments: