Thursday, May 15, 2008

Another Day

So I have decided that it is difficult to blog, when there is nothing really to talk about! So we will have to see how this posting everyday is going to work out.
Today was just not that exciting! I woke up, did some errands today and went to work! BORING! I can't wait until I get my camera!
Last night as I was laying in bed I stumbled across the Ovation Channel instantly glued to the TV. The program that was on was Genius Of Photography. What an extraordinary show! I had many great photographers from Henri Cartier-Bresson, which is my all time favorite and who's work has inspired me to become a photojournalist and many other great ones! Joel Meyerowitz talked a lot during the program, which is another one of my favorites, especially his images of 9/11! One of my favorite quotes he said on the show was "A couple days after the attacks, I went down to the site and saw that the whole area had been cordoned off with cyclone fencing. Out of a lifetime of habit I raised my camera to my eye, and then someone smacked me on my shoulder. A cop yelled, “No photographs buddy, this is a crime scene.” I said “Listen, this is a public space, don’t tell me I can’t look through my camera!” Then she pointed to the press roped off by police tape behind me. I said, “When are they going in?” She said, “Never, I told you, no photography!” Sometimes life gives you just the push you need. They couldn’t do this to us. No photographs meant no visual record. As I walked away that day I knew what I had to do. I was going to get in there and make an archive of the aftermath. That was the beginning of the following nine months of my life down at Ground Zero.
Myerowitz's book Aftermath is an exceptional book of photographs of Ground Zero after the attacks on the World Trade Center. Meyerowitz was the only photographer to gain access to Ground Zero. Here is a link http://www.joelmeyerowitz.com/photography/after911/launch.html
to The World Trade Center Archive where you can view his images. If you have a chance take a look at his book Aftermath which can be found at Books-A-Million in the photography section was is located in the very last row on the left. It is by far one of my favorite books from 9/11.

Also last night I found out that Robert Rauschenberg pasted away on May 12 from heart failure. Many of you probably will not know who he is, but he is by far an extraordinary artist from Port Arthur, Texas. You should look at some of his work. He creates sculptures and paintings from photographs that he would make. To see an original piece of his work is unbelievable and I have!

Enough for now!

No comments: